As we head into another busy week of learning here at Avoca West, please take a moment to learn about some of the important news from school.
- ISAT reports (for this year’s 4th-8th graders) were mailed home on Friday. Inside, you’ll find a note from Mr. Palcer and me explaining a bit more about last year’s state assessment and how to read your child’s score. This year students in 3rd-8th grades will take the PARCC assessment in March/April and again in May. We are promised to receive the data back sooner than ISAT, to truly us it to inform our instruction for students.
- Picture Day is officially in the books! If your child forgot to bring his/her money and order form, please know that you will have an opportunity to turn your money in directly to the company. Retakes are set for October 22nd!
- Lunches Dropped Off During the School Day will not be brought immediately down to students. In an attempt to honor classroom instructional time, lunches will be put in a black bin and left outside of the gym. Students are working through the practice of checking the black bin if they don’t have their lunch — especially if they knew that a parent was dropping it off. We hope this will help make sure that the classroom is as interruption-free as possible!
- Our sign in procedures have tightened up a bit this year, so thank you all for stopping in the office to grab your sticker before heading elsewhere in the building. We will soon have lanyards for our visitors to wear so that our staff and students have a visible cue of who has been approved through the office.
- Conference Sign Up has already occurred, so please be sure you’ve signed up for a time to meet with your child’s teacher to hear about his/her progress so far this year. We are piloting a new, standards-based report card this school year and all parents are invited to the ITC on November 12th at 6:30 to learn more about it!
Thank you all for making sure that Avoca West is such a positive, safe, and lovely place to learn and grow each day!