You can check out previous editions by clicking on the Marie Murphy Chronicles Archive on the right hand side of your screen.
The Marie Murphy Science Olympiad team continued their tradition of excellence with their performance this weekend at the National Tournament at Wright State University in Ohio. The team finished 8th place nationally marking the third consecutive year the team has finished in top-ten in the nation, and the 8th time in 10 years the team has finished in the top-ten nationally.
National Medalists included:
- 2nd Place: Hovercraft – Eric Liu & Dodge Adams
- 3rd Place: Crimebusters – Isabelle Hester & Chelsea Lu, Rocks and Minerals – Isabelle Hester & Mia Moline, and Towers – Violet Cue & Ian Quan
- 5th Place: Wright Stuff – Zijun Deng & Brian Shen
- 6th Place: Optics – Eric Liu & Brian Shen
Congratulations to team sponsors Jim Gravagna, Darren Persino, Peter Ogden and Shannon Wright as well as all of our parent coaches and volunteers!
The 2016-2017 Varsity Science Olympiad Team members were:
The guys volleyball season wrapped up with conference championships for both the junior varsity and varsity teams.
The Varsity Vikings completed an 8-1 regular season with the only loss coming to Glencoe. The Vikings had an opportunity for revenge with a rematch against Glencoe in the North Shore Conference Tournament Championship. The Vikings prevailed winning the championship match two games to one. While both teams played well with many volleys that lasted for several minutes, in the end, the Vikings took the trophy with excellent digging, outstanding passing, and because they played as a team. The team included 5 players who had never played volleyball before as well as 9 returning players. The Varsity Vikings were coached by Ms. Kelli Lane
Not to be outdone, the Junior Varsity Vikings completed an undefeated regular season with a North Shore Tournament championship as well. The team defeated Washburne in the semi-finals setting up a championship match versus Glencoe. The Vikings prevailed, completing a perfect 15-0 season. The Junior Varsity Vikings were coached by Mr. Patrick Higgins.
- Victoria Chan: Personal Essay/Memoir – First Night
- Emilia McDougal: Personal Essay/Memoir – Piano
- Chanel Pudrycki: Personal Essay/Memoir – The Holidays
- Julia Stesal: Personal Essay/Memoir – The Great Truth
- Emma Taylor: Journalism – Clinical Trial: Providing New
- Sarah Trunsky: Personal Essay/Memoir – Songa 2016
- Alena Balassa: Personal Essay/Memoir – A Christmas Walk
- Isabelle Hester: Personal Essay/Memoir – Scrambled
- Dahee Lee: Personal Essay/Memoir – Journal In America
- Chelsea Lu: Personal Essay/Memoir – Stereotype
- Divya Mehta: Personal Essay/Memoir – The Last Time
- Divya Mehta: Personal Essay/Memoir – Tiramisu: The Day I Moved
- Emma Taylor: Personal Essay/Memoir – Starbucks Runs and Family Fun
Click here for the full list of Scholastic Winners from the Chicago region.
The Marie Murphy Science Olympiad Team traveled to Wright State this weekend to compete in a national tournament featuring 60 teams from 13 different states, including those states champions and runners up. Awards were given to the top 8 teams.
Marie Murphy came in 7th overall, highlighting a strong overall performance from Illinois overall. Two other Illinois schools, Science and Arts and South, came in 15th and 16th respectively.
Marie Murphy students medaled in following events:
Bottle Rocket – 2nd – Jeffrey, Xingyuan & Alex
Crimebusters – 1st – Chelsea & Izzy
Disease Detectives – 8th – Chelsea & Xingyuan
Experimental Design – 1st – Dorothy, Emilia, & Mia
Food Science – 8th – Eric & Dorothy
Microbe Mission – 8th – Alex & Chelsea
Optics – 4th – Eric & Brian
Towers – 4th – Violet & Ian
Write it Do it -7th – Ian & Emilia
The team’s next competition is on February 11th at Grayslake and the annual Science Olympiad Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser is on March 4th. See the photos below.
The 2016 Marie Murphy Cross Country team had another successful season. This fall, the young team continued to grow with thirty-three runners in its second season of existence. Over the course of nine meets, the Running Vikings had several students finish in top positions. These students included: Boys – Kenny Dolin (8th grade), Chris Bulwa (8th grade), Jun Yoshitani (6th grade) and Will Kelly (6th grade), Girls – Josephine Yoshitani (8th grade), Lindsey Luksik (7th grade), and Bethany Bulwa (6th grade). All runners made great strides in improving their overall times as they progressed through the season. Coach Daira Tramontin and Coach Andrea Bialk were really proud of how hard the team worked throughout the fall 2016 season and look forward to potentially hosting a home meet next year!
The Marie Murphy Girls Varsity Volleyball Team placed 4th this season in the North Shore Independent Conference. The team members ranged from brand new players to athletes who were on the team all 3 years. Everyone was incredibly dedicated and willing to try anything to be their best!
The team will end their season this Friday afternoon at the Marie Murphy Fall Sports Award Assembly where they will take on the teachers in the annual Student-Faculty Volleyball Game!
Congratulations to both the Marie Murphy Varsity and Junior Varsity Soccer Teams – North Shore Independent Conference Champions!
The Junior Varsity finished the season with a perfect 8-win 0-loss record, clinching the championship earlier this week with a victory over rival Central School in Glencoe. The team is coached by Jessica Bodzewski.
The Varsity Vikings earned a conference co-championship, with their victory over Central School in Glencoe. Then team finished with an impressive 7-win and 1-loss record. The team is coached by Chad Henley.
The Marie Murphy Science Olympiad Team wrapped up another hugely successful year with a top-ten finish at the national competition. The 8th place finish marks the 5th time in the last 6 years that the Marie Murphy Science Olympiad Team has finished in the top ten nationally.
Competing against top teams from across the country at the University of Wisconsin-Stout, the team was led by medal-winning performances in the following categories:
- Food Science – National Champions; 1st Place: Sophia Ahn & Andrew Kearney
- Road Scholar – National Champions; 1st Place: Sophia Ahn & Jason Yuan
- Elastic Lauch Glider – National Runner Up; 2nd Place: Youngwon Kim & Petra Ilic
- Experimental Design – 4th Place: Sophia Ahn, Carol Klingler & Emilia McDougal
- Bottle Rocket – 4th place: Petra Ilic & Jeffrey Yuan
- Disease Detectives – 5th Place: Andrew Kearney & Chelsea Lu
- Bridge Building – 6th Place: Sophia Ahn & Jonathan Yuan
Congratulations to all members of the team, parent coaches & volunteers, and Coaches Mr. Gravagna, Mr. Persino, Mr. Ogden, and Ms. Wright on a incredibly successful season!