The Marie Murphy Science Olympiad team continued their tradition of excellence with their performance this weekend at the National Tournament at Wright State University in Ohio. The team finished 8th place nationally marking the third consecutive year the team has finished in top-ten in the nation, and the 8th time in 10 years the team has finished in the top-ten nationally.
National Medalists included:
- 2nd Place: Hovercraft – Eric Liu & Dodge Adams
- 3rd Place: Crimebusters – Isabelle Hester & Chelsea Lu, Rocks and Minerals – Isabelle Hester & Mia Moline, and Towers – Violet Cue & Ian Quan
- 5th Place: Wright Stuff – Zijun Deng & Brian Shen
- 6th Place: Optics – Eric Liu & Brian Shen
Congratulations to team sponsors Jim Gravagna, Darren Persino, Peter Ogden and Shannon Wright as well as all of our parent coaches and volunteers!
The 2016-2017 Varsity Science Olympiad Team members were:
The guys volleyball season wrapped up with conference championships for both the junior varsity and varsity teams.
The Varsity Vikings completed an 8-1 regular season with the only loss coming to Glencoe. The Vikings had an opportunity for revenge with a rematch against Glencoe in the North Shore Conference Tournament Championship. The Vikings prevailed winning the championship match two games to one. While both teams played well with many volleys that lasted for several minutes, in the end, the Vikings took the trophy with excellent digging, outstanding passing, and because they played as a team. The team included 5 players who had never played volleyball before as well as 9 returning players. The Varsity Vikings were coached by Ms. Kelli Lane
Not to be outdone, the Junior Varsity Vikings completed an undefeated regular season with a North Shore Tournament championship as well. The team defeated Washburne in the semi-finals setting up a championship match versus Glencoe. The Vikings prevailed, completing a perfect 15-0 season. The Junior Varsity Vikings were coached by Mr. Patrick Higgins.
Congrats to our outstanding players and coaches!
This week, several of Marie Murphy School’s most exceptional writers were recognized at the regional level of the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. Scholastic received a record number of submissions this year and Marie Murphy students were well represented in being lauded for their excellence. Writing on a variety of topics, our students were praised for their excellent submissions. Also encouraging were the number of Marie Murphy alumni recognized at the high school level of the competition.
Congratulations to all students who submitted!
- Victoria Chan: Personal Essay/Memoir – First Night
- Emilia McDougal: Personal Essay/Memoir – Piano
- Chanel Pudrycki: Personal Essay/Memoir – The Holidays
- Julia Stesal: Personal Essay/Memoir – The Great Truth
- Emma Taylor: Journalism – Clinical Trial: Providing New Hope
- Sarah Trunsky: Personal Essay/Memoir – Songa 2016
- Alena Balassa: Personal Essay/Memoir – A Christmas Walk
- Isabelle Hester: Personal Essay/Memoir – Scrambled
- Dahee Lee: Personal Essay/Memoir – Journal In America
- Chelsea Lu: Personal Essay/Memoir – Stereotype
- Divya Mehta: Personal Essay/Memoir – The Last Time
- Divya Mehta: Personal Essay/Memoir – Tiramisu: The Day I Moved
- Emma Taylor: Personal Essay/Memoir – Starbucks Runs and Family Fun
Click here for the full list of Scholastic Winners from the Chicago region.
This past week, several Marie Murphy students were recognized for artistic excellence in the 2017 Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. MM students competed against 7-12th graders from over eight different states. Congrats to all MM students who competed!
The following students were recognized:
- Julia Stesal – Honorable Mention (Ceramics)
Davina Shin – Honorable Mention (Drawing)
Chelsea Lu – Silver Key (Painting)
Daniel Martinez – Gold Key (Photography)
Violet Cue – Gold Key (Drawing)
Juliana Gurevich – Gold Key(Painting), Silver Key(Drawing), Honorable Mention
The 2016 Marie Murphy Cross Country team had another successful season. This fall, the young team continued to grow with thirty-three runners in its second season of existence. Over the course of nine meets, the Running Vikings had several students finish in top positions. These students included: Boys – Kenny Dolin (8th grade), Chris Bulwa (8th grade), Jun Yoshitani (6th grade) and Will Kelly (6th grade), Girls – Josephine Yoshitani (8th grade), Lindsey Luksik (7th grade), and Bethany Bulwa (6th grade). All runners made great strides in improving their overall times as they progressed through the season. Coach Daira Tramontin and Coach Andrea Bialk were really proud of how hard the team worked throughout the fall 2016 season and look forward to potentially hosting a home meet next year!
The Marie Murphy Girls Varsity Volleyball Team placed 4th this season in the North Shore Independent Conference. The team members ranged from brand new players to athletes who were on the team all 3 years. Everyone was incredibly dedicated and willing to try anything to be their best!
The team will end their season this Friday afternoon at the Marie Murphy Fall Sports Award Assembly where they will take on the teachers in the annual Student-Faculty Volleyball Game!
Congratulations to both the Marie Murphy Varsity and Junior Varsity Soccer Teams – North Shore Independent Conference Champions!
The Junior Varsity finished the season with a perfect 8-win 0-loss record, clinching the championship earlier this week with a victory over rival Central School in Glencoe. The team is coached by Jessica Bodzewski.
The Varsity Vikings earned a conference co-championship, with their victory over Central School in Glencoe. Then team finished with an impressive 7-win and 1-loss record. The team is coached by Chad Henley.
The Marie Murphy Science Olympiad Team wrapped up another hugely successful year with a top-ten finish at the national competition. The 8th place finish marks the 5th time in the last 6 years that the Marie Murphy Science Olympiad Team has finished in the top ten nationally.
Competing against top teams from across the country at the University of Wisconsin-Stout, the team was led by medal-winning performances in the following categories:
- Food Science – National Champions; 1st Place: Sophia Ahn & Andrew Kearney
- Road Scholar – National Champions; 1st Place: Sophia Ahn & Jason Yuan
- Elastic Lauch Glider – National Runner Up; 2nd Place: Youngwon Kim & Petra Ilic
- Experimental Design – 4th Place: Sophia Ahn, Carol Klingler & Emilia McDougal
- Bottle Rocket – 4th place: Petra Ilic & Jeffrey Yuan
- Disease Detectives – 5th Place: Andrew Kearney & Chelsea Lu
- Bridge Building – 6th Place: Sophia Ahn & Jonathan Yuan
Congratulations to all members of the team, parent coaches & volunteers, and Coaches Mr. Gravagna, Mr. Persino, Mr. Ogden, and Ms. Wright on a incredibly successful season!
Marie Murphy’s Science Olympiad team advanced to the National Tournament with a second place finish at the Illinois state tournament last week in Champaign.
Several MM students earned state titles for specific events including: Anatomy & Physiology, Crime Busters, Elastic Launch Glider, Experimental Design, Food Science, Green Generation, and Meteorology. Additionally, MM has second place finishes in: Air Trajectory, Fossils, Picture This, and Wind Power.
Narrowly missing out on a state title, the team is poised for a strong showing at the national tournament, being held May 19-22 in Menomonie Wisconsin at the University of Wisconsin Stout. MM will be competing against 60 teams from 48 states.